Regional Public Speaking Competition
There will be three categories along with three age divisions as follows:
Youth: 14-21 years of age
Young Adults 22-35 years of age
Youth Alumni: 36+ years of age
The age of the contestant as of January 1 determines the age group. For state, regional and national public speaking contest, props will be allowed but must be appropriately sized for the for the room. Points can be deducted for props.
Category A: Prepared Speech
Contestant’s choice of topic – Contestants in Category A will be required to answer an impromptu question at the end of their speech. The questions will be related to the contestant’s chosen speech topic. Speeches must be a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 5 minutes. *
Category B: Impromptu Speech
An impromptu speech is delivered without preparation or thought ahead of time. No note cards are used, and topics are generally drawn.
• We hope that by establishing an impromptu speech category that members will build confidence and in the future, participate in the prepared speeches or the Grange Commercial Contest
• Impromptu speeches should be at least one minute in length and not longer than 5 minutes.
• Time keeper will hold up a hand when the 1 minute mark has been reached and then 4:30 minute mark has been reached so speaker knows when he/she can stop.
• Participants will draw two topics, select their choice of the two and return the other one.
• Competition will be held at the Regional Conferences – You need not have participated in a state competition in order to participate.
• Participants must notify the National Director of intent to enter prior to the beginning of the contest.
Category C: Grange Commercial
A Grange commercial is an advertisement promoting the Grange. Prior to regional contest participant(s) must film and edit themselves doing a commercial for the Grange. Can include up to five people in the commercial. Commercials should last between :30-:60 seconds. The participants must include a written script. Commercials must be submitted to the National Grange Youth Director prior to the competition.
Ribbons will be awarded to the top three entrants in each division and age category.
*One overall winner from each region will be selected to showcase at the National Grange Convention. To advance to the National Convention, Grangers must compete in their local region. Each Best of Show that showcases at the National Grange convention will receive $100.